28.11.12

Korg iPolysix & Ableton Live



Yesterday i took the latest ios app by Korg, the iPolysix. After a day of hacking, the verdict is the usual for a Korg product: a terrific music app. Grab it now, it's 50% off at launch. When it comes to Korg I have some sort of constant assignment rule, Korg = Synth, maybe cause I got my first serious synth sound design on a wonderful Korg DSS-1, back in the nineties.
Anyway, several friends ask me how I integrate all these tiny buzzing apps into my studio workflow. Are just toys? Or you can get something useful out of them?
Besides the new iPolysix, I extensively use iMS20, Animoog and SampleWiz with the setup I'm going to describe.
Ableton Live is my work bench for a long time. I assume you know how to set up WiFi MIDI for iPad (Windows people may use Tobias Erichsen golden stuff).
Let's start dragging that External Instrument Device you never used because outboard is dead (I'm kidding... :)










Plug the iPad audio output in a stereo channel of your soundcard and setup everything as in the following picture. Yes, you can switch midi channels to browse app devices and other amenities. 


Now you can deal with your app as it were a standard Ableton Live device.
Not only midi sequencing. You can add (weird) effects:


You can freeze it:


Live will take your app sounds recording them in real-time:


Lastly you may want to flatten everything getting rid of all the MIDI stuff, so you can switch to another app (unless you have many ios devices...).


A final tip for iPolysix: use pattern view to make your own sounds 'scenes' and quick browse them.


However this app is fantastic in itself even outside the studio. So keep on operator, with your pocket calculator. :)


Nice iPolysix articles:



3 comments:

  1. thanks for the instruction!
    just to make sure:

    "Plug the iPad audio output in a stereo channel of your soundcard..."

    you probably do that with the help of the camera connection kit, right? is there another solution?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just use a classic minijack/rca cable. Minijack out from the iPad audio/earphones output, stereo rca in my soundcard line input.
    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete